Voice search is the new frontier of SEO, and it’s important to understand how you can optimise your site for voice search. As more people use their voice as a way to find information on the internet, Google has had to change its algorithm to cater to this trend.
With this shift in focus from typing into boxes to speaking into microphones, there are some simple steps that you can take that will help increase your rankings in Google’s SERPs (search engine results pages) for these types of searches.
- 1 What is voice search?
- 2 Why is Voice Search Gaining Popularity?
- 3 How Can You Optimise Your Site for Voice Searches?
- 4 What are the benefits of ranking for voice searches?
- 5 Voice Search FAQ
- 5.1 What do you need to do to fully optimise for voice search, and why?
- 5.2 What are some of the benefits of ranking for voice search?
- 5.3 How does mobile-first indexing work?
- 5.4 How can you ensure your website is mobile friendly?
- 5.5 Schema markup: what is it, and why is it important for SEO?
- 5.6 How does natural language impact SEO?
- 5.7 What is Natural Language Processing?
- 5.8 What is a Featured Snippet?
- 6 We Offer SEO Services Nationwide
- 7 Conclusion
What is voice search?
Voice search is a way of finding information on the internet by speaking into a microphone, rather than typing it into a box. It’s been around for many years but has only recently become popular as more people have started using devices like Amazon Alexa and Google Home.
Why is Voice Search Gaining Popularity?
There are a few reasons why voice search is becoming more popular:
Convenient for users
Voice search makes it more convenient for users, it takes more effort having to stop what they are doing, unlock or load up a device, open web browser and type in a query into a search box, than speaking into a microphone.
We’re all busy and don’t have time to sit down at a computer and type in a query. With voice search, you can just speak the question into your phone or speaker and get an answer immediately.
Increase in mobile devices
With the increase in the number of people who use mobile devices like smartphones and tablets with access to a microphone and the internet, voice search is an excellent method to get information on the move.
Accuracy of results
Another reason why voice search is gaining popularity is due to improvements in Google’s algorithm and Natural Language Processing which return accurate results.
Google is making its search algorithms more intelligent to cater to the rise in voice search. With Natural Language Processing, Google can use the context of what’s being asked to make more relevant suggestions to help users with their queries and give them a better answer or information.
Google is always tweaking its algorithms with all kinds of machine learning and artificial intelligence, so it will get even better with time.
How Can You Optimise Your Site for Voice Searches?
Use Natural Language
Write in a way that is natural for humans to read, using everyday language. This way users will understand the content easily, and Google’s machine learning algorithms are more likely to categorise your page correctly.
Write FAQ pages or include them in your pages. Use conversation keywords that people are likely to use when asking a question. Build some keywords by asking the major questions for your business and products or services (Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How) and include them on your site.
Target featured snippets
Featured snippets are the “answer boxes” that appear at top of SERPs in response to a question, and it’s important to get your site listed here. To target featured snippets, use short sentences with keywords close together so Google can easily categorise them as an answer for this type of search result.
Use schema markup on your site so Google can understand the content and structure of your pages. This will help improve your chances of being listed as a featured snippet.
Optimise your Google My Business listing
Ensure your Google My Listing is completely optimised so you’re business is included in the voice search results. Google uses this information a lot when returning information about business-related searches.
Google’s new mobile-first index bases rankings on the site’s mobile. Mobile-first indexing means Google predominantly uses the mobile version of the content for indexing and ranking.
You must have a mobile-friendly website to boost your rankings on mobile devices.
What are the benefits of ranking for voice searches?
- Increased Visibility: When someone does a voice search for a product or service that you offer, your website will be one of the first results they see. This can result in more traffic and leads from people who are looking for what you have to offer.
- Targeted Traffic: With voice search, users are usually looking for very specific information. If you can rank well for these types of queries, you’ll get more targeted traffic coming to your site rather than general traffic that might not be interested in what you have to offer.
- Higher Conversion Rates: Since people who use voice search are already looking for what you have to offer, they’re more likely to convert into customers. This is because they’ve already shown interest in your product or service and are just looking for more information before making a purchase.
- Better Customer Experience: When users can easily find the information they’re looking for on your website, it leads to a better customer experience. This means they’ll be happier with their visit to your site and might even be more likely to come back again in the future.
Voice Search FAQ
What do you need to do to fully optimise for voice search, and why?
You need to make sure your website is mobile-friendly, use Schema.org markup, and target featured snippets. You should also focus on including FAQ pages on your site and using natural language in your content so it’s easy for users to understand.
Google’s algorithms are constantly improving, so keep an eye on the latest trends to stay ahead of the competition.
What are some of the benefits of ranking for voice search?
Some benefits include increased visibility, targeted traffic, higher conversion rates, better customer experience, and more. Voice search is growing rapidly, so make sure you’re prepared to take advantage of this trend!
How does mobile-first indexing work?
Mobile first indexing means that Google predominantly uses the mobile version of your website for indexing and ranking. If you want to ensure your site is ranked well on mobile devices, you must make sure it’s optimised for mobile viewing.
How can you ensure your website is mobile friendly?
You can use the Google Mobile-Friendly Test to check if your website is mobile-friendly. If it isn’t, you’ll need to make some changes so your site meets Google’s requirements.
Schema markup: what is it, and why is it important for SEO?
Schema markup is code that tells search engines what your content is about but isn’t visible to users, which can improve your chances of ranking for featured snippets.
Search engines like Google use this information to better understand the structure and content of web pages so they rank them more accurately in their results pages.
How does natural language impact SEO?
Natural language is the way people naturally speak and write. When you use natural language in your website’s content, it makes it easier for users to understand. This can help with rankings because it makes your site more user-friendly. Additionally, using natural language can also help you rank for voice searches as Google has natural language processing algorithms.
What is Natural Language Processing?
Natural Language Processing is the process of using computers to understand human language. Google uses this technology in its voice search feature so it can provide users with more accurate results for their queries.
What is a Featured Snippet?
A featured snippet is a box that appears at the top of Google’s search results pages, also known as Position 0, and it includes information pulled from one or more websites. If you can rank your site’s content for a featured snippet, you can gain increased visibility and traffic from Google.
We Offer SEO Services Nationwide
- Wirral: https://mediakynect.co.uk/seo-wirral/
- Liverpool: https://mediakynect.co.uk/seo-liverpool/
- North Wales: https://mediakynect.co.uk/seo-north-wales/
- Wrexham: https://mediakynect.co.uk/seo-wrexham/
Voice SEO, isn’t much different than general SEO. So if you are optimising your site using the best practices, it will naturally improve your voice search optimisation too.
Voice search is the future, so it’s important to understand how you can optimise your site for these types of searches.